This is a very classic dish which most of us are very familiar with especially the Asian Chinese. Those children who do not favor bitter gourd will start to love this humble gourd once they are being introduced to this dish. My children are no exceptional too. When they were still at a tender age, this is one of the many bitter gourd dishes which I introduced to them. Gradually, they had learned to like bitter gourd and in fact love this braised chicken with bitter gourd and fermented black beans.
I am glad to say that my preparation for this dish has improved since I came across this recipe from Boon's Little Kitchen, page 86. Boon's Little Kitchen is an ideal cookbook for those who are always scratching their head what to serve a "3 dishes 1 soup" meal for their beloved family. Well, with this cook book, you would not run out of ideas for simple yet wonderful and delicious home-cooked '3 dishes 1 soup" meal for your beloved family. With just RM18, you will get 12 sets of "3 dishes 1 soup" meals that comes with awesome and mouthwatering food pictures!!! You may also like to visit his blog at http://boonslittlekitchen.blogspot.com.
Recipe source : Boon's Little Kitchen (with some minor modifications in red)
- 1 bitter gourd (discard seeds and cut)
- 1/2 chicken (cut into bite sized)
- 1 tbsp fermented black beans/tau see (rinsed and roughly chopped)
- 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
- 200ml water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp tapioca flour
Seasonings : (to taste)
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp of caramel sauce
- a dash of sugar
1) Marinate chicken for 30 minutes.
2) Heat some oil in a medium sized pot. Saute garlic and tau see until fragrant.
3) Add in marinated chicken pieces.
4) Fry until the meat become whitish. Add in bitter gourd.
5) Add in seasonings. Stir fry and mix well.
6) Add water and cover. Let it cook for five minutes or until chicken pieces are cooked over low heat.
7) Finally, add a dash of sugar. Stir and mix well.
8) Dish out and serve with steamed rice.
Do add extra water if you like to mix your rice with the sauce
Isn't this a good way of introducing bitter gourd to your children?
Have a wonderful week ahead :)
This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs up organised by Doreen from my little favourite DIY and Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids, hosted by Mich of Piece of Cake at this post.
I'm also linking this post with :Cook-Your-Books #4 hosted by Kitchen Flavours
To receive new updates, do LIKE me on FACEBOOK. Thanks!
http://www.bloglovin.com/en/blog/6015563 Follow this blog with bloglovin Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me comments.. I really appreciate all your visits and comments! Have a nice day :)