It’s actually referring to these few basic ingredients measurement of butter cake ~ eggs, sugar, flour and butter respectively. You can even sing it to the melody of 10 little Indians Boys! 5 eggs, 6 sugar, 7 flour, 8 butter… Easy to remember right? So, with this 5,6,7,8 melody, you will not miss the measurement, but… be careful, it’s 5 eggs, 6 sugar, 7 flour, 8 butter and NOT 5 butter, 6 eggs, 7 sugar, 8 flour!!!!!
6 oz sugar
7 oz self rising flour
8 oz butter (softened)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp milk power (mixed with 2 to 3 tbsp water)
1) Preheat oven at 180 deg c for 10 minutes
2) Grease an 8" cake pan.
3) Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
4) Add egg one at a time until well blend.
5) Add flour in batches then add vanilla and milk.
6) Pour in mixture into greased pan. Bake at 180 deg c for 45 minutes or until done.
7) Stand in pan for 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
It's heaven to have this slice of cottony soft butter cake with a cup of coffee or tea
Have a wonderful weekend ahead and cheers :)