Tofu (Japanese: 豆腐 or とうふ; Chinese: 豆腐), also called bean curd, is a food made by coagulating soy milk and then pressing the resulting curds into soft white blocks. It is a component in many East Asian and Southeast Asian cuisines. There are many different varieties of tofu, including fresh tofu and tofu that has been processed in some way. Tofu has a subtle flavor and can be used in savory and sweet dishes. It is often seasoned or marinated to suit the dish. Please click http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tofu for more info on tofu.
This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs up organised by Doreen from my little favourite DIY and Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids, hosted by Mich of Piece of Cake at this post.
My family likes to eat tofu and I used to cook it regularly. As for this braised tofu, the recipe just created out of what I can find in my fridge! You can add any ingredients that you like and it's still yummy.
- 4 blocks of soft tofu (cut)
- 2 tomatoes (cut into wedges)
- a handful of shredded preserved mustard head/Spicy Szechuan Mustard (soaked)
- a handful of fresh Thai Basil
- 3 cloves garlic (crushed)
- water (add more water if you want extra sauce)
Seasonings : (to taste)
- 1 tbsp miso
- a dash of sugar
- a dash of sugar
1) Heat oil in a pan and lightly pan fry tofu.
2) Add garlic, tomatoes and shredded preserved mustard head.
3) Lightly stir and mix well. Then, add miso.
4) Add water and braise over medium high heat.
5) When it is almost done, add salt to taste, sugar and fresh Thai basil.
6) Stir and mix well.
7) Serve with steamed rice.
This dish is suitable for vegetarians and you can just omit the garlic for religious purposes
Or if you are just going for a meatless meal, this is just a perfect dish
Hope you like this simple yet healthy tofu dish
To receive new updates, do LIKE me on FACEBOOK. Thanks!