Thursday 9 January 2014

Simple Pan-Fried Norwegian Blue Mackerel with Apple Sauce

Klik hier voor meer gratis plaatjes
First of all, my sincere apologies to all my readers and followers for my irregular posting as I have been quite busy lately.  Will try my best to post from time to time as and when I can steal some time.  Don't worry, I am still around and it's just that I do get rather busy every now and then.  So, do bear with me, ok? 
Hugs and muaks to you all :)  
Klik hier voor meer gratis plaatjes

This is my 1st posting to start off the year 2014. For your info, this is not a new dish but has been sitting in my album for quite sometime.  
Besides Salmon, Norwegian Blue Mackerel is also our most favorite fish.  It's yummy even  just with a simple pan fried and seasoned with some soy sauce.  A simple dish like this can see my children grinning like a Cheshire cat!!  However, once in a while if I am not in a hurry or if an inspiration struck me on the spur of the moment, I would try something different, ie pan fried it with pandan leaves.  This time, while I was about to start frying the blue mackerel, I realized that I still have a bottle of apple sauce sitting in the pantry.  Oh yeah.... why not try something different?  So, the end result? All thumbs up from my family members!!!  Do give this a try and you will thank me for it too! 

Ingredients :
- 3 Norwegian Blue Mackerel Fillets (cleaned, slit and marinated with some salt)
- 1 tsp butter
Seasonings : (to taste)
- salt
- Traditional Worcester Sauce
- Apple sauce

Method :
1)  Heat a tsp of butter in a pan and arrange the fillets on it.  I used Happy Call Pan.
2)  Pan fry over medium low heat until both sides are slightly brown.
3)  Turn off the heat.
4)  Drizzle some Worcester sauce on both sides of the fillet.  
5)  Then, spread some apple sauce on top of the fillets.  Remember to pan fry the fish with the heat off to prevent the sauce from burning.
6)  Dish up and serve.
Notice that there are some burnt on the skin?  So, it's very important to remember to turn off the heat before you drizzle the Worcester sauce and the apple sauce.  Mine is still slightly burnt even though I had turn off the heat!!
Some slight burnt is perfectly okay as it has that smoky fragrant flavor.  The skin is crispy too :)
Besides, the slightly smoky with a tangy sweet apple sauce flavor is simply yummy!
Have a wonderful day ahead and thanks for dropping by :)
Klik hier voor meer gratis plaatjes


To receive new updates, do LIKE me on FACEBOOK. Thanks! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me comments.. I really appreciate all your visits and comments! Have a nice day :)

22 comments:

  1. I think, I'll like to have the slightly burnt part.....gives the oomph effect of the fish and sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something totally different than how I cook Mackerel. Still I learn a new dish and its lovely. Maybe a touch of chili for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ivy , the salmon looks totally delicious and the burnt adds flavor , thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ivy, wishing you a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cheah, yes, my children love the slightly burnt part as it gives that special ommph flavor, Thanks for dropping by and you have a wonderful weekend ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nava, when I pan fried it with only soy sauce, then I love it with some chili padi soy sauce. Oh... it's finger licking :) Have a wonderful weekend ahead, dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nee, it's blue mackerel and the slightly burnt does add extra flavor to it. You have a great weekend ahead, Nee :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Yen, Happy New Year to you too. Have a great weekend ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Ivy, I love this! Fried fish, fried chicken are my kinds of food. And your this fried fish looks really delicious and crispy.
    Bet everyone, hubby especially polished off 2 large plates of rice too.
    What else you had to go with that very nice fish? Sambal belachan? Ha ha.
    By the way, you won your hubby using your cooking as bait? Ha ha. My wife did!

    With regards to your mention of no time, ha ha....the favourite expression of most people. I love this expression.
    Lots of our friends here say this too.
    As for me, I find the time. No matter what. And used to give lectures when invited at seminars on 'Time and Territorial Management', 'Time and you'. 'What you have lost? Time'.
    Old days I looked after 7 companies scattered throughout SEA, spending time flying, living in hotels, hardly home, often being in 3 States or 3 countries same day, doing homework late at nights after business meetings, worksite visits, etc then the business entertainment. And the returning of phone calls.

    But I have always believed time and tide waits for no man. Every minute lost is gone forever.
    I have never forgotten my mom's advice to me when I was 12 years old. "when a minute passes by, it is not coming back. Make use of it".
    And would find the time to send friends CNY cards, birthday cards....and dating women.
    And then hearing from my friends, "hey Lee, sorry did not send you a card, no time la". And he works in a government office. 8am to 4.30pm. Ha ha ha.

    I must mention this 'reverse psychology' I did in my office before.
    Some reports arrived late on my desk on required date.
    The managers 'complaining, "no time, Boss".

    Next day I called for a meeting, 24 senior managers. My secretary handed out blank papers to each of them.
    I told everyone, in view of they saying "no time"...they to write down past 1 week's work activities', every hour, every day, 1 week. What they did?
    And if I see they really have no time, I will not only give a 25% salary increase, but give them another assistant or secretary.
    I never received back even one paper.
    Have a nice weekend. And keep a song in your heart.
    Best regards.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shane,
      As usual, you are always so generous with your compliments. So sweet of you!
      Shane, thanks so much for lecturing me on 'Time Management' (*wink). I do really appreciate what you are trying to tell me. I do agree with you that time and tide waits for no man. Don't worry I will make full use of any available time and once again, my sincere appreciation on your valuable advice on time management. It's indeed an honor to get some advice from a wise man like you. Once again, thanks so much, Shane!
      You have a great week ahead and stay healthy, young and happy always,
      Ivy

      Delete
  10. I love the idea of apple sauce on mackeral. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mich, yes, apple sauce on mackerel is a great combination! Try it and you will love it :)

      Delete
  11. This looks delicious--I love fish! I'll have to see if we can get mackerel here (not in a can)...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ivy, not sure if my comment will go through with so much going on your blog (high security alert on my end)...love the delicious and crispy fried mackerel fish. Certainly would love to try out your version! Hugs, to you my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elisabeth, your comment green light all the way and no hiccup!!! Yes, this mackerel is my family's favorite and we never get tired of it even with just a simple pan fried. Very yummy and addictive too!! You have a great week ahead and hugs and muaks to you too, dear :)

      Delete
  13. Hi my dear, your fried fish sure look inviting and awesome. Your this dish I need 2 plates of rice, please. I love fish so don't mind eating them 7 days a week. LOL
    I can see you are getting better and better in your culinary skill. Keep up the good job. So when you going to bake cupcake or cookies?:))

    Have a lovely week ahead,regards. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Amelia, you are also forever so sweet with your compliments!!! Thanks so much dear <3
      Don't worry dear, I will surprise you one day with my cupcakes and cookies and even some bread and paus for you!!! Don't get heart attack huh?
      Hugs and muaks from me to you :)

      Delete
  14. Hi Inger, I got my mackerel frozen from a supermarket here. Maybe you can try a fresh one in your country if you can get hold of a fresh one, which I think is even better. It's very delicious even with just a simple pan fried with some soy sauce. Do let me know if you give this a try. Have a wonderful week ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such an interesting way to cook mackerel with apple sauce...I must give this a try Ivy...thanks for the recipe.
    Hope you are having a beautiful week :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. My pleasure Juliana. Yo have a wonderful day ahead too :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am not sure if I have ever cooked Norwegian mackerel before but I've done plenty dishes with spanish mackerel which is more common here in NYC. The Worcester sauce + apple sauce combination sounds tempting and it should go well with this rich-flavored fish. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yi for your so sweet compliments! Yes, Norwegian mackerel paired with Worcester and apple sauce is indeed very yummy. You may give this a try with Spanish mackerel and who knows, it may turn out nice too! Cheers !

      Delete

To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and have a nice day :)