Monday 24 June 2013

Telosma Cordata Eucheuma Jelly - The Picnic Game 2013 (1)

I get to know Louise when she commented in my Hot and Spicy Chicken  and Homemade Chili Paste  posts.  Out of curiosity, I visited her blog,  Months of Edible Celebrations and she invited me to play Picnic Game 2013.  This is my first time participating in this Picnic Game.  The rule of the game is each participant is to choose an alphabet and to prepare a dish starting with the chosen alphabet.  Well, I chose the letter T and I am bringing Telosma Cordata Eucheuma Jelly as it's a very healthy dessert. 

Telosma Cordate or Chinese Violet has many benefits which I had mentioned it in my Chinese Violet Omelette post. Besides that, Euchema or Sea Bird's Nest (a type of seaweed) has many benefits too.  I will do another posting on the benefits of Eucheuma soon as I do not want those picnickers to get bored with my grandma's stories!

Well, so I am going on a picnic organised by Louise and other lovely picnickers who have been invited by our sweet lady Louise.  To know more about the game, do please visit her Picnic Game 2013's rules.
I'm going on a picnic and I'm bringing ....
A - Aloo Gobi
B - Blueberry-Cucumber Salsa
C - Crispy Curry Fried Chicken 

E - Eton Mess
M - Ma'moul
Ingredients : (to taste)
- 300gm of soaked Eucheuma (dried Eucheuma has to be rinsed and washed 5 to 6 times.  Then soaked for at least 5 hours.  After that, rinse again for 3 to 4 times.  Then drained)
- a handful of Telosma Cordata (washed and drained)
- some Chinese wolfberries (washed and drained)
- some honeychomb sugar
- 1.5 liter water
Method :
1)  Boil Eucheuma and honeycomb sugar in a pot of water until dissolved. 
2)  Keep stirring.  It takes about 30 to 40 minutes to fully dissolved the seaweed.
3)  Add the Chinese Wolfberries into it and let it cook for another 10 minutes over low heat.  Keep stirring.
4)  Then, add Telosma Cordata into the mixture.
5)  Stir and mix well.  Turn off the heat and let it stand for another 5 minutes.
6)  Transfer the mixture into Jelly moulds or containers.
7)When cold, chill it in the refrigerator overnight.  
8)  Remove it from the mould.
9)  Serve chilled.
It's so refreshing and yummy!
Healthy and Nutritious too :)
Isn't this a very healthy dessert for picnic?
Do give this a try and you will not regret.  Enjoy!

I'm linking this post to September 2013 Cooking With Herbs Blog Challenge hosted by Lavender and Lovage.



Follow this blog with bloglovin Follow on Bloglovin Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me comments.. I really appreciate all your visits and comments! Have a nice day :)

19 comments:

  1. OH Ivy! You are not only bringing something Healthy and Nutritious you are also adding a bit of Asian flair to our picnic too!!

    I think this is a wonderful dish to bring to the picnic and I can't wait to try it!!!

    Thank you so much for playing. Our baskets are getting really filled. Good thing we'll have something Healthy and Nutritious too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise! I am also curious what are in the picnic basket too. Hope the others will like this dessert too :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Ivy,
    This is an interesting jelly! I have never heard of telosma cordata! At a glance, it looks like the jasmine flowers! Wow, reserve some for me please! Haha!
    See you at the picnic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Joyce, pls reserve your finger licking good chicken for me too, ok?

      Delete
  3. Hi Ivy ,
    Boy , the Telosa Cordata Eucheuma Jelly look yummy , anything that looks that good ... is good , you betcha . I will try this , I may have to make a couple .
    Thanks for stopping by .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nee,
      Don't worry I will reserve one for you when we gather for the picnic, hahaha. See you and cheers!

      Delete
  4. Wow! This is so innovative & delicious! And very well presented, so sweet ! Glad to know blog thru The Picnic Game! See You at the picnic! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kit, in fact this is my first time using edible flowers for seaweed jelly. Surprisingly it has a very pleasant fragrant and delicious too. I just started to grow this flower 2 weeks ago as it is difficult to get it at my place. I am keeping my fingers crossed it will grow well :) See you at the picnic too :)

      Delete
  5. I like the look of this jelly and the ingredients are new to me. Would love to try some. Are you bringing any extras to the picnic. This is my first time joining in this picnic and I also have the same plate as that in the picture!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Cheah, this is also my first time joining this picnic. Definitely, I will 'quietly' reserve extra portion of the jelly for you to takeaway! Sshhhh....
      I got this edible flowers from my friend in Ipoh. She is the one who introduced this to me; fry with egg soup. However, I have tried it with different recipes and this is the best!
      Oh yeah, I like this plate very much, given by my mum-in-law. I think this was passed down from her late mum. I have a few with different designs but sometimes feel very 'sayang' to use. Have been keeping it in the store for so many years. This is a flat plate and that day it just crossed my mind that I need a flat floral plate for this flower jelly!
      Till then, see you at the picini :)

      Delete
  6. hi ivy! i read from your previous post that you got these chinese voilet from a friend in ipoh? can you ask where she get these? i'm not sure if i hv seen it in the market..some people use to boil this as tong sui too. You hv made it into such beautiful eucheuma jelly, see you at the picnic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lena, my friend is from Pasir Pinji and I am sure it should be from the market around there. Whenever she goes back to Ipoh (she stays in KL) and if she happens to see the chinese violet at the market, she 'sapu' all for me! hahahaha... Now I am trying to grow the plant on my own. If you still can't get it, let me know. I will give her or her sister's hp to you (with her permission lah)

      Delete
    2. thanks ivy! Next time if i happen to be in the pasir pinji market, i will look out for it.

      Delete
  7. Those are 'ye lai xiang', isn't it??? It's hard to get the flowers these days. My in laws used to plant them but not any more.
    I think I have to bring some of your jelly home with me as well. Thanks for sharing & have fun!
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Kristy, it's also called 'yea lai xiang'. I can't get the flowers in KL and I always depend on my good friend to get it for me whenever she goes back to Ipoh. So, now I am trying to grow the plant on my own. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will grow well :)
      Yeah, the jelly is already 'packed' for you to bring home for your children :) Do enjoy!

      Delete
  8. What an exotic and beautiful dish! Thanks for bringing it to the picnic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wilkerson. Nice to know you and your beautiful and informative blog. I love it.

      Delete
  9. What a lovely and new to me addition to the picnic. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete

To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and have a nice day :)