Thursday 23 October 2014

Red Bean Paste Rolls using Straight Dough Method

As mentioned earlier in my post on Garlic Butter Bread, I have numerous bread recipes which are waiting for their turn to greet you all.
 Garlic Butter Bread
   Click at the link for the recipe : Garlic Butter Bread

Hence, here is another home made bread which we love very much.

I used the leftover red bean paste from my previous Easy Snow Skin Mooncake.
 Easy Snow Skin Mooncake

This recipe was adapted from Bread Magic Vol 6 page 37 on Black Date Rolls. Instead of black date, I substituted the fillings with red bean paste. Eh... not bad! My girls love the red bean paste and they gave me all thumbs up for this bread.

Red Bean Paste Rolls
Recipe source : adapted from Bread Magic page 37 with some minor modifications in red
Ingredients (A) :
- 330 high protein flour
- 1.5 tbsp milk powder
-1/2 tsp salt
- 60g caster sugar
Ingredient (B) :
- 1 egg (grade B)
Ingredients (C) : Mixed together
- 120ml water
- 10g instant yeast
Ingredient (D) :
- 40g butter

Ingredients for Filling : Mixed together
- 250g black date paste (I used red bean paste)
- some sesame seeds
Glazing :
-1 egg (beaten)
Topping :
- some sesame seeds

Method :
1) Combine ingredients A together in a mixer. Slightly blend it before adding ingredients B and C.

2) Beat approximately 5 minutes to form a dough.

3) Add butter and continue to beat until the dough is smooth. To check whether the dough is fully developed, stretch a small piece with your fingers to see if it can be stretched into thin layer without tearing it. If it does not stretch, continue beating again until it passes the stretch.

4) Remove dough and leave it in a big bowl, cover with a piece of damp cloth. Leave bowl in a warm place and proof dough for about 30-40 minutes till doubled in size.

1-4) I used bread machine to knead the dough. Just put the ingredients as per your machine instructions and let it proof. After the 1st proofing, take the dough out from the machine.

5) Scale dough at 60g portions. Shape them into small balls and let them rest for 5 minutes.

6) Flatten and roll each ball of dough and place filling, seal and wrap into a ball.

7) Roll flat once more and make several slits. Roll up and place on a greased baking try or pan. Repeat the above process with the rest of the dough. Cover with a damp cloth and leave them for 45 minutes or more for a second time proofing.

8) Once they are doubled in size, glaze with egg wash and sprinkle top with some sesame seeds.




9) Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 12-15 minutes depending on individual's oven. So, do adjust the temperature and timing accordingly.

10) Remove and cool on wire rack.


The bread is soft and fluffy


My girls and hubby complimented that this homemade red bean paste rolls is better than those bakery shops

With the increasing cost of living, isn't it cheaper to make your own bread?

Do enjoy baking your own  home baked bread with your family members!




I am linking this post to Cook-Your-Books #17 @ kitchen flavours

To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING on FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me comments. I really appreciate all your visits and comments! Have a nice day :)

21 comments:

  1. Ivy, I really salute you! Your Red Bean Paste Rolls are beautifully baked and I am convinced that they stand head and shoulders above those from the bakery! It is really wonderful isn't it to churn out freshly baked buns, breads and rolls from one's own kitchen? I say, I am so motivated to start baking my own buns! You must come and give me a kick on the backside to get started hah..hah...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phong Hong,
      In actual fact bread baking is easier than baking a cake, that is to me! Try it and you will love it. I am more towards bread baking than cake baking as I truly fall in love with the kneading and proofing and the anticipation of how perfect the bread is going to turn out! I feel very excited whenever I see the proofing works out well and I can assure you that the joy of seeing your bread doubled in size is really worthwhile!!!

      Give yourself a try, Phong Hong. I am sure you can do it better than me. Phong Hong BOLEH!!! Now, go ahead and make yourself a loaf and you will be surprised and don't forget to thank me, huh??? hahahaha... THANK me of kicking your backside.... hehehe..

      Am looking forward to your first loaf of home made loaf, Phong Hong. I am waitinggggggg.............

      Delete
    2. Typo error : Thank me for kicking your backside..

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Beena and you have a wonderful day :)

      Delete
  3. You can bake and you continue with sharing great baked goodies. I like the red bean so much, minus the dough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nava for your compliments. Yes, we love red bean paste too. Do have a wonderful week and warmest regards :)

      Delete
  4. You bake the most heavenly breads, Ivy. while you're "kicking" Phong Hong in the backside, you may as well use the other foot on me. I sooooooooo want to bake some kind of bread and for some reason I just don't! I'd be happy baking Pita bread which requires no yeast, you know me and my yeastaphobia, and yet I don't!

    Just heavenly, Ivy. I love your method of slitting the dough. I would be inclined to fill it with cinnamon sugar but I'm sure red bean paste is way more healthier, lol...

    Thanks for sharing, Ivy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise, sorry to hear that you can't take yeast. Yeah, pita bread is nice too and will definitely try to do pita bread one day. Thanks for your sweet compliments and you take care :)

      Delete
  5. Damn delicious dan beautifull red bean bread!!!
    worth to try recipe.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ivy, your tau sar buns look so soft and moist with lots of tau sar. Nicely shaped too. These days, I'm so lazy to shape buns. Is age catching up or what? I think is too many things in my mind to do. Your garlic butter bread looks good too. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimmy, I usually like to shape different type of buns provided I have the time. Otherwise, just a loaf or simple round buns. Thanks for your beautiful words and warmest regards :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Ivy,
    Wow! your bread is so beautiful and perfectly baked! Your family must be thrilled to have homemade bread so often now!
    Using red bean paste is a delicious idea indeed! Looking forward to see your next bread! I am still waiting for Phong Hong's!!
    Thanks for linking with CYB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joyce. Yeah, me too, am waiting for Phong Hong's first bread, hahaha.... Cheers and warmest regards :)

      Delete
  8. I can see how these would be a family pleaser! (I'd love to have one right now!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Inger and warmest regards :)

      Delete
  9. Hi Ivy,
    I love your yummy red bean buns!
    Having this for breakfast can make me smile!
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ivy, these rolls with red bean filling look delicious, soft and tasty...I love the smell of baking bread coming from the oven...
    Have a great week ahead :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Juliana, me too, love the smell of freshly baked bread. You too, have a wonderful week ahead and hugs :)

      Delete

To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and have a nice day :)