Tuesday 9 December 2014

Easy Peasy Homemade Crispy Roast Pork Belly 脆皮烧肉 using Happy Call Pan

Roast pork belly or 烧肉 (sau rou) is in fact not that difficult to prepare.  Almost everyone can achieve it if you can get the right technique.  You can either use oven, non-stick pan or any of your preferred pan.  As for me, I used Happy Call Pan. To me, searing roast pork using Happy Call pan is a breeze.... no splattering of oil and cleaning the pan is also hassle free!
I adapted this simple homemade 脆皮烧肉 from Agnes Chang's Cookbook 'Let's Eat'.  However, instead of using oven for roasting, I used my treasured Happy Call Pan.  No regrets and I strongly recommend you to use HPC if you have one at home.  

Crispy Roast Pork Belly 脆皮烧肉
Marinade adapted from Let's Eat pg 24 (my modification in red)
- 1.3kg (600gm) pork belly with skin (whole block)
- 1 tsp cooking oil
Marinade (mixed)
- 3pcs (1/2 pc) fermented bean curd (nam yee) - mashed
- 1 tsp (2 tsp) five spice powder
- 2 tbsp chopped garlic (1 tsp garlic powder)
- 2 tbsp chopped shallots (I omitted)
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp (1 tbsp) vinegar (for rubbing the skin)
- 3 tbsp (1 tsp) salt for rubbing the skin
Method :
1)  Wipe skin with kitchen towel to remove any water.  Then, using a sharp pin holder or knife, poke the skin all over as shown above.
2)  Rub vinegar all over the skin and followed by salt.
3)  Then, rub marinade all over the meat.  
4)  Leave the marinated meat in a covered container overnight in the refrigerator.
5)  Remove marinated meat from the refrigerator.  Sprinkle and rub some five spice powder onto the meat.  I prefer extra five spice powder for that extra ommph flavor!
5)  Heat 1 tsp cooking oil in your HPC.  Place marinated pork belly on the HPC with the skin side up.  Close the lid and cook over medium heat until cooked.  Do the same to the skin and all four sides of the meat.
6)  Remove  from HPC and leave it aside to cool completely.
 
 7)  Using a sharp knife, chop it into your preferred serving size.
The meat is tender and juicy
 and the skin is crispy and crunchy
Give this a try and you will be surprised that your homemade roast pork belly is in fact better than those store bought ones.
Happy Trying and hope you have an enjoyable week :)



I am linking this post with Cook-Your-Books #19 @ kitchen flavours



To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING on FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me comments. I really appreciate all your visits and comments! Have a nice day :)

31 comments:

  1. Perfect for this Christmas. Will try

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Beena, make this for Christmas and serve it with wine. Perfect!!! Let me know if you try this and cheers :)

      Delete
  2. My all time fav. I love the crispy skin and can eat to glory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi5, Nava. Our favorite too and it's so expensive to buy it from the market. Imagine roasting your own meat can cut down the cost by half! You have a great week and regards :)

      Delete
  3. I saw a video of this recently, they called it Cracklin'. I'm excited to give it go. Looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ivy, yes, some call it crackling roast pork. Impress your guests this Christmas and serve it with wine. Cheers and regards :)

      Delete
  4. Yes, homemade ones can sometimes be much better than store bought ones.... good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Cheah. Moreover, we can control or adjust the flavor of the meat according to our palate. Thanks for dropping by and cheers :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Ivy ,
    This sounds delicious , a must try . Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy and easy roasted pork... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ivy, I love siew yoke! But I think I leave it to people like you to cook it at home lah because I am too lazy to do it. My oven will be super oily with the "explosions" hah..hah... and cleaning up is a headache. I did think of getting the Happy Cal pan before but I have too many things in the kitchen. Anyway, I am admiring and drooling over your delicious siew yoke with the crispy skin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phong Hong, you can also use any non-stick pan or wok. It's easy peasy and hassle free. I don't like to clean the oven too so, HPC is the answer. Do try it at home one day and you will not buy siew yoke from the market anymore. Well, anyway, come over and I cook for you :) Do enjoy your week and regards :)

      Delete
  8. Good day Ivy ! Oh wow... your roast pork looks fantastic. Well done. I have yet tried making it at home. Hopefully one day ! >o<
    Enjoy & have a lovely evening.
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristy, thanks for dropping by and really appreciate your kind words. You have a wonderful week and regards :)

      Delete
  9. Wow! Lau nuar already! Looks so delicious! Look at the succulent meat and the crispy skin! Drooling.... !!!!
    Thanks for sharing with CYB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce, I am sure you can do better than me. When I look at all your hojiak dishes, I also lau nuar lah. Do enjoy your week and regards :)

      Delete
  10. Easy peasy!!! Ivy, I hear you!!! Love to try this recipe with my happy call too :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe, yes, using HPC, is indeed an easy peasy job! Happy trying and regards :)

      Delete
  11. Oh my gracious Ivy. I could just jump through the screen!!! I will of course never make this at home because I would definitely eat every last bite!!!

    Thank you so much for sharing, Ivy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise, try this and serve it with red wine this X'mas. Thanks for your compliments and regards :)

      Delete
  12. Hi Ivy, looks good and easy with the HPC pan. I'm still using the oven. What's the price of this pan? Possible to share some photos of the pan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimmy, I bought this HCP (made in Korea) few years back when it was first introduced by Cosway. It was about RM199 then but now it's much cheaper and you can even get it below RM100, if I am not wrong. I have tried roasting pork belly with oven but the cleaning part is a hassle. So, still prefer my humble HCP. Click this video link to know more about HCP. http://youtu.be/lwv2x45PDtU
      Hope it can convince you how beneficial it's owning a HCP. Happy trying and warmest regards :)

      Delete
  13. Simply damn delicious!!!!
    this post made me wanna steal my mom's happy call pan even more, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dedy, yes, HCP is very convenient and hassle free as it's easy to clean and no splattering of oil. You have a wonderful week and regards :)

      Delete
  14. I don't think I've seen pork belly in the stores--but anything with crispy pork would have to be delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Inger, yes, crispy pork belly is very delicious. By the way, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. See you in year 2015:)

      Delete
  15. Hi Ivy, this is Angie if you can remember me. We used to bump each other at our dear friend's from up north blog. Was blog walking for ideas what to cook for Christmas and decided to look into yours. Anyway, just wanna wish you and family a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a great New Year. May Hope, Peace and Love prevail this New Year.
    I think you have one of coolest blog around. And this latest post is simply fabulous though am not a pork eater but my husband and kids are. Have also gone and read some of your earlier posts and have found great tips and ideas which I could use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie, of course I do remember you. Thanks so much for stopping by. Really appreciate your warm thoughts and wishes, and your sweet compliments. Wishing you and your family a blessed Christmas, great success and happiness in 2015! Kotobian Tadau Do Krimas om Toun Vagu!!

      Delete
  16. I am seriously getting hungry just looking at this!!

    ReplyDelete

To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and have a nice day :)