White radish or daikon is an excellent source of potassium, folate, vitamin C and also magnesium. Besides it is believed to stimulate appetite, treat liver and gallbladder problems, and improves bowel movement. It is also good for sore throat, digestion and expel phlegm . However, a word of caution. Chinese believe that you are not supposed to take white radish if you are on medication or herbal tonic as white radish neutralises the efficacy of any medicine or health tonics. So whatever health supplement you take would go down the drain!
- 2 white radish (washed, peeled and cut into chunks)
- Carrots (optional; sometimes I add carrots)
- 1/2 chicken (cleaned, cut and blanched)
- some dried mushrooms (washed, soaked and cut into halves. This time I used the stems only which I used to collect and store in the freezer)
- 8 to 10 red dates
- 1 tbsp Chinese wolfberries (kei qi)
- salt (to taste)
1) Fill pot with enough water for the soup. Add white radish, mushrooms and red dates. Boil at high heat.
2) When the water started to boil, add chicken and boil at high heat for about 15 minutes. Then, lower the heat and continue to boil for 1 hour.
3) Add kei qi and boil at low heat for another 1/2 or 1 hour.
4) Season with salt and serve hot.
For more and latest updates, pls follow my blog with bloglovin. Simply click and follow :
Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me comments.. I really appreciate all your visits and comments! Have a nice day :)