Monday 24 November 2014

Hearty Homemade Buns/Bread with Unique Sweet Aromatic and Nutty Flavor

After my first attempt at making Red Bean Paste Rolls, my children have been asking me to make this red bean paste bread again.  Well, I gladly obliged with some modifications.
Click here for the recipe-->Red Bean Paste Rolls
As I have ready stocks of organic pumpkin and sunflower seeds, I decided to add these seeds to the bread. Besides being healthy and nutritious, pumpkin and sunflower seeds enhanced the flavor of the bread even more and give the bread an interesting sweet and nutty taste,.... yeah,.. and slightly chewy texture too!!
In addition, sesame seeds give a very unique sweet aromatic flavor to the bread ....... as well as the kitchen while the bread is baking in the oven!!!

Pumpkin, Sunflower and Sesame Seeds with Red Bean Paste Buns
Recipe adapted from Bread Magic page 37 using Basic Sweet Dough Method
(My modification in red)
Ingredients (A) :
- 330 high protein flour
- 1.5 tbsp milk powder
-1/2 tsp salt
- 60g caster sugar
Ingredient (B) :
- 1 egg (grade B)
Ingredients (C) : Mixed together
- 120ml water
- 10g instant yeast
Ingredient (D) :
- 40g butter

Ingredients for Filling : Mixed together
- 250g black date paste (I used red bean paste)
- some sesame seeds
- some sunflower seeds
Glazing :
-1 egg (beaten)
Topping :
- some sesame seeds
some pumpkin seeds

Method :
1) Combine ingredients A together in a mixer. Slightly blend it before adding ingredients B and C.

2) Beat approximately 5 minutes to form a dough.

3) Add butter and continue beat until the dough is smooth. To check whether the dough is fully developed, stretch a small piece with your fingers to see if it can be stretched into thin layer without tearing it. If it does not stretch, continue beating again until it passes the stretch.

4) Remove dough and leave it in a big bowl, covered with a piece of damp cloth. Leave bowl in a warm place and proof dough for about 30-40 minutes till doubled in size.

1-4) I used bread machine to knead the dough. Just put the ingredients as per your machine instructions and let it proof. After the 1st proofing, take the dough out from the machine.

5) Scale dough at 60g portions. Shape them into small balls and let them rest for 5 minutes.

6) Flatten and roll each ball of dough and place filling, seal and wrap into a ball.

Oopss.... my camera battery was running low.... but it's still better than nothing, right?

7) Roll flat once more and make several slits as the above pic and place on a greased baking tray or pan. Repeat the above process with the rest of the dough. Cover with a damp cloth and leave them for 45 minutes or more for a second time proofing.

8) Once they are doubled in size, glaze with egg wash and sprinkle top with some pumpkin and sesame seeds.

9) Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 12-15 minutes depending on individual's oven. So, do adjust the temperature and timing accordingly.

10) Remove and cool on wire rack.

You can shape the bread anyway you like
Pumpkin and sunflower seeds enhanced the delicate and nutty flavor to this hearty bread
A hearty delicious bread loaded with delightfully nutty taste
Healthy and Nutritious bread for all my dear readers :)



I am linking this post with Cook-Your-Books #18 @ kitchen flavours


To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING on FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me comments. I really appreciate all your visits and comments! Have a nice day :)

33 comments:

  1. Adoi doi! Cantiknya! Ivy, you have made progress by leaps and bounds! Your bun is so so pretty! I say, I am so motivated lah. I cakap only, but when I go home, my semangat deflated LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my dear friend, Phong Hong!!! No puji puji melangit lah.... I am still learning and I am sure if you get it started too, you will be so so so much better than me lah.... Now, get your semangat bersemarak and no more cakap kosong only, ok?? Hoping to see your very lau nuai and ho chiak roti. Hope you have an enjoyable week and warmest regards :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Ivy,
    Your buns are fabulous! You are so good at baking bread. I like seeing all the breads that you have made, and your family is so lucky to be enjoying fresh homemade breads!
    Thanks for sharing with CYB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joyce for your sweet compliments. You are also very good in baking and excellent chef too!! Still learning ... Well, have a nice day and warmest regards :)

      Delete
  3. I saw the buns earlier on facebook and I love the beautiful outcome, what more red bean paste is my fav. Coupling it with the seeds is another attraction to the buns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nava, thanks for all your likes on Facebook. My Facebook is only active when I have a new post, otherwise, nowadays I hardly go into Facebook, only once in a while when I have nothing better to do, hahaha... You are always so supportive and thanks for your tireless encouragement. You too can bake bread and I am sure you are anytime better than me. Have a great day and warmest regards :)

      Delete
  4. These buns look like flowers! Very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truly beautiful. Love it. Well done, you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Happy Whisk. You have a fabulous day and warmest regards. :)

      Delete
    2. Just got your comment. Thanks for the kind words. I am still very new to making cakes as I never liked to eat them until this year.

      Now, I am learning. I love the learning.

      Delete
  6. Love the way you shaped the buns- they're so pretty! :) I haven't made red bean buns before- you've inspired me to make some now haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Von for dropping by and your sweet words. Well, I am sure you will definitely love this red bean paste buns and do let me know if you ever try it. Have a nice day and regards :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Ivy, you buns looks so nicely, very professional. I haven't been making buns these days cos' my hubby will eat too much of it. The sugar content is quite high in buns. Children will like it most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmy, yes my children love buns and I usually cut down on sugar. Cheers and regards :)

      Delete
  8. Hello Ivy....

    Clap clap clap.... cantik your red bean paste buns. Mama pun suka this buns. Nanti nak buat lah. Wah! Bila tu mama? Jawabnya.. tak tau! Hahahaha....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mama, Thanks for your compliments. I believe if you ever do it, you will be much much better than me. Regards :)

      Delete
  9. Your buns look heavenly Ivy:) You really are such a fine baker. You just let your imagination run wild and create such lovely and delicious looking yummies. One day I would love to try bake bread like you. Perhaps one day, I will...

    Thank you so much for sharing, Ivy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise for your sweet compliments. You can do it, Louise, you CAN!! Cheers and regards :)

      Delete
  10. Hi Ivy,

    I like red bean bread with sesame seeds too! I have not tried eating red bean with sunflower seeds yet but from your pretty flowery buns, I can see the combination is really good too :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe, yes, the combination of these 2 ingredients is in fact perfect. Thanks for dropping by and regards :)

      Delete
  11. These buns shaped like flower look so pretty Ivy, the idea of having sesame seeds sound and look delicious.
    Enjoy your week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Juliana. You too, have an enjoyable week and regards :)

      Delete
  12. These are so pretty! The sesame seeds make a perfect flower center!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Inger, You have a wonderful week and cheers :)

      Delete
  13. Hi Ivy, the red bean bun looking delicious!! I want to try and make this :) gotta save this one. Yum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shazzy. Give this a try and your children will love it. Regards :)

      Delete
  14. You've rally tempted me to make some bread but too busy to do so at the moment. Will be away for a couple of days.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristy, I enjoy baking my own bread now as I can add any ingredients I like and it's healthier too as we know what is inside our bread. Have a nice day and regards :)

      Delete

To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and have a nice day :)