There are many variations of mantous be it plain, sweet or savory. You can even try out my steamed scallion flower bun.
For this post, I am sharing with you a sweet purple coloured mantou. Don't worry, this is a natural purple colour from purple sweet potato.
This recipe is adapted from Boon's Secret Recipe 2 under 'My Wife's Signature Pumpkin Mantou'. I substituted the pumpkin with purple sweet potato as I happened to have it.
Well, overall, this mantou is pillowy soft and very delicious.
Recipe adapted from Boon's Secret Recipe 2 with minor modification
For those who are interested in simple and easy budget meals, local kuih-muih, desserts and snacks, you should get all his 3 series which come in handy whenever you want a comfort and warm meal for your family. I have no regrets adding these 3 series to my existing cookbook collection.Ingredients A:
- 500g purple sweet potato (pared off the skin and cut into small pieces)
- 480ml water (keep this water after boiling it with potato)
- some pandan leaves
Ingredients B :
- Sweet potato water from ingredients A
- 250g caster sugar
- 1 kg all purpose flour
- 1 sachet dried yeast
- 3 tbsp softened butter
Method for ingredients A - mashed purple sweet potato :-
2) Remove sweet potato into a basin or big bowl and mash it.
Method for ingredients B dough - (please take note I used bread machine):-
1) Put in mashed sweet potato and all the ingredient B except butter as per your bread machine instruction.
2) Press dough function and let it knead.
3) When the dough is smooth, add in butter and continue the kneading process.
4) Let the dough rest for 30 minutes.
5) Take out the dough and lightly hand knead it. Divide the dough into pieces according to your preferred size.
6) Roll and shape the dough any shape you like. I shaped it into buns.
7) Place the shaped buns on a greaseproof paper and let it rest for 15 minutes.
8) Steam over rapid boiling water over high heat for 13 minutes.
9) Serve warm.
Serve warm for breakfast or tea
These mantous have sweet aroma of sweet potato
This is recipe is a keeper. Try it and you will know what I mean.Note :
1) If dough is too dry, add a bit of water or if too wet, sprinkle some flour onto the dough.
2) You can freeze the steamed buns and re-steam the frozen buns (about 3 minutes) whenever you crave for it.
To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING FACEBOOK.
Sorry to inform that for the time being, I have disabled comment box as I won't be able to return visit to my fellow bloggers who are kind enough to drop me a line or two. The comment box will be enabled when I am not so tied up with my work schedule. However, you may contact me by leaving your message or comment at SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING FACEBOOK. My sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused. Thanks for visiting my blog and have a nice day :)