Monday 5 May 2014

Elvis Presley's Favourite Pound Cake

Are you a fan of Elvis Presley???? I AM!!! Yes, I AM a big fan of Elvis Presley… Who else??? Wow, clap, clap , clap!!!! I can see all hands are high high up!!! Ok, ok, ok…. I see all your hands…! Yes, I think it’s almost impossible to see anyone, who is in that era, not a fan of Elvis Presley. He’s our evergreen idol but too bad, he left us at the age of 42 on August 16, 1977 in the bathroom of his Graceland mansion in Memphis, Tennessee.

With compliments from Shane Lee :)

We all enjoy Elvis Presley’s music but what about his favorite cake? Well, thanks to my friend, Shane Lee. He seeing my new interest in baking, gave me a recipe to try out.
It was Elvis Presley's favourite pound cake, baked by his mom, Gladys, and later his personal cook.
Overall, the cake was simply delicious and great to have it with a cup of hot coffee and it was even more delicious the following day!
It's just simply delicious

The bottom of the cake doesn't look that nice.

So here's Elvis Pound cake, with Shane Lee’s compliments

ELVIS PRESLEY'S FAVOURITE POUND CAKE
- 3 cups granulated sugar (I used 2 cups only)
- 1/2 pound butter, softened
- 7 eggs, at room temperature
- 3 cups cake flour, sifted twice, divided
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (I used vanilla essence)

Method :
1) Butter and flour a 10-inch tube pan.
2) Thoroughly cream together sugar and butter.
3) Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4) Mix in half the flour, then the whipping cream, then the other half of the flour.
5) Add vanilla extract. Pour batter into prepared pan.
6) Set in a COLD oven and turn heat to 350 degrees F. (I set at 160 degrees Celsius as my oven heated quite fast. So, adjust the temperature accordingly ).
7) Bake 60 to 70 minutes, until a sharp knife inserted in cake comes out clean.
8) Cool in pan 5 minutes. Remove from pan and cool thoroughly.

Wishing all of you a very happy and wonderful week ahead :)

Do take note that I am experimenting taking pics with 2 different camera. That's why you can notice the difference tone of the images. Which one do you prefer?
The clear sharp images or....
the special effect with blur background images? 
Your opinion is highly appreciated :) Thanking you in advance!



To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING on FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me comments. I really appreciate all your visits and comments! Have a nice day :)

24 comments:

  1. Hi Ivy! Ah...after eating your Elvis Presley cake, I can do the Jailhouse Rock hah..hah...You are certainly making big progress in the baking department. Can see that the second attempt turned out a very nice cake. Is your second camera a DSLR? I like the blur blur background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phong Hong for your kind and sweet words. Well, I am still learning and hopefully can bake more cakes soon. Yes, I am using compact DSLR for the blur blur background. Hi5, Phong Hong! I like the blur blur background too, hehehe... cheers and warmest regards :)

      Delete
  2. I see the deliciousness and its connection to Elvis. But as far as I'm concern, the pan isn't a bit issue for baking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ivy...the cake looks sooo seductively delicious. Oh my....can I knock on your door and bring my own plate? Hahahahhaa... Shane darling is sooo kind, right. He is a great friend anybody could dream of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Ivy! nice pound cake, may I try one piece?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Ivy, the first thing that came to my mind was, "Holy smoke! She did it"!
    Ivy, I am impressed. And the colour, the texture says it all....it's outstanding! And I can guess, imagine your patience, the care you put into baking the King's favourite cake!
    Just looking at your well taken pics I can practically get the lovely scent from where I am!

    Not to worry about failing at the first try. I have lost count the number of times my wife who is a great cook, makes fantastic cakes have made errors, whatever. The cakes failed to rise, looked funny, once it even exploded! Or my, "hoi! I smelled something burning"!
    Yes, she has burnt lots of cakes.....but all towards her wanting to make the perfect cake. Just like you.

    And Ivy...remember this....don't worry about whatever cakes you bake. The proof is in the eating. If this cake disappears fast...you'll know you have baked a good cake, and getting whoever all shook up.
    And yes, I love this cake...love it cold, with iced coffee. when my wife makes it...she has to threaten me to eat only one! As my once is 4 pieces!

    Ivy...I can see you now have a Black Belt where baking and cooking is concerned. Wayyyyy to go, Ivy.
    Once again, well done, Ivy. I am impressed! You have a great future, *wink*.
    You have a great week and keep a song in your heart.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do agree with Phong Hong that you are making big progress in baking. The results show, congrats! Sheer enjoyment having a piece of Elvis' favorite cake with him crooning away behind :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LHB for your sweet compliments and encouragement. The cake is indeed very yummy. Regards and cheers :)

      Delete
  7. Hi dear, thank you for the kind mention, really appreciate it very much.
    Congratulation, finally you passed your baking. Keep up the good job. Told you easy as ABC or 123 only...you sure can do it. After baking 3 cakes and so far it turn out very good too. In future you will have more confident and no more kelam kabut. Also no need to buy from those cake shop which it's expensive and tasteless too. * stick out tongue* can't help it cos I'm a complain queen and fussy when food is concern. hahaha....

    This cake look very soft and fluffy. You did it, congratulation again. The first time maybe your loaf pan too small and over filled the cake batter, hence not enough space for the cake to rise. But there are other reason why the cake is dry and damp. Yes, there are some pound cake using loaf pan but it depend on the recipes too. For pound cake best to use bundt cake pan.

    Have a nice day and hugs to you. Happy baking.
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wah Ivy... more cakes now eh? Well done! Next time, if the cake is dry.... just serve it with icecream and nobody has to know that the cake is dry... hahahaha... tips untuk 'cover line'.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nava, I think you are right. I am still trying to analyse what actually gone wrong on my first attempt. Will try again this cake using loaf pan and see if the cake rise. Thanks Nava and regards :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Aziela, thanks for dropping by. Yes, by all means, come and I belanja you makan with kopi-o. No need to bring your own plate, hahaha... Cheers and regards :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jozelyn, sure, come come come. I bake for you. Anyway, I am still learning and hope to bake a better one soon. Cheers and regards :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Shane, once again thanks for the recipe and your ever sweet sweet words and encouragement. I am glad I gave this recipe a try and honestly speaking, I am very pleased with the result even though it's not that perfect. I will give this cake another try using loaf and bundt pan too. This recipe is indeed a keeper.
    You stay happy and well, Shane!
    Ivy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Amelia dear, eh, belum pass lagi lah... still in the learning process of trials and errors! Once again, thanks for your generous baking tips. I appreciate it very much. Yes, will try again using loaf pan and bundt cake pan.
    Hugs and muaks,
    Ivy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks MamaFaMi for your excellent tips. Ya ah.... how come I tak terfikir. Next round if my cake is dry or crack, I will remember your tips, serve it with ice-cream! Cake + ice-cream = finger licking good, slurrppp.......
    Thanks for dropping by, MamaFaMi. Cheers and warmest regards :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful cake Ivy...I like the texture of this cake...it would be great to have a slice of this cake with a cup of coffee.
    Hope you are having a fabulous week :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow--I never knew that Elvis was a a pound cake fan. But then who isn't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Inger for dropping by. Warmest regards and cheers :)

      Delete
  17. Hello Ivy, if free drop by my pondok...I've put up an Elvis pound cake....
    Best regards.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ivy, you have a hankie with you or tissue for wiping away sweat? As well ice cubes in your fridge?
    If yes, drop by...and later have a very cold shower.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Shane. Warmest regards and cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Shane, thanks for taking the trouble to notify me of your latest post. You have a great Spring and best regard :)

    ReplyDelete

To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and have a nice day :)