I used to boil Chinese herbal soup for my family. One of the herbal soups that we used to take is 'Chap Qi Bi' (in Hokkien). It means, seventeen herbs of herbal soup. It is very nutritious and for those who used to have backache, this soup is also very good. It is suitable for adults and children.
(For those who can read Chinese, you can just copy the above prescription and buy it at any Chinese Medical Hall. However, I am sorry I can't translate this into English as my knowledge of chinese herbs is quite limited).
- 1 whole kampung chicken (cut and blanched)
- Few slices of liquorice or 'kam cho'(I prefer to add this even though it is already in the prescription as adding extra of this makes the soup tastes sweeter, better and less bitter).
- salt (to taste)
1) Fill a big pot with water and boil the herbs over medium high heat for about 20 minutes.
2) Then, add the chicken and boil at high heat for a while.
3) Lower the heat to low and let it simmer for an average of about 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
4) Add salt and serve hot.