This is not the first time I cooked this dish. However, this time instead of using dried chilies, I used homemade chili paste. Guess what? My children like it and in fact it's better than using dried chilies. Well, I am going to use chili paste whenever I cook this hot and spicy chicken again. Besides, using homemade chili paste is also suitable for kids learning or can't take too spicy food. This recipe is actually adapted from YumYum No. 55, page 15 with minor changes. I added extra lemongrass as I love lemongrass and I used chili paste instead of dried chilies.
- 1/2 chicken (cut into bite sized)
- 6 lemongrass (crushed)
- 2 tbsp homemade chili paste (click the link for the recipe)
- 1 big onion (cut)
- 1 tomato (cut)
- 6 cherry tomatoes (halved)
Seasonings : (to taste)
- soy sauce
1) Heat up oil. Saute onions, lemongrass and chili paste until fragrant. Then, add tomatoes and chicken. Stir and mix well.
2) Add seasonings and water.
3) Cover and continue to cook for about 20 minutes or until chicken is soft and the gravy is reduced to half. The gravy is great. So, if you like gravy, add more water.
4) Dish up and serve.
You can adjust the spiciness according to your taste.I am linking this to Cook Your Books #1 organised by Kitchen Flavours.