Thursday 13 June 2013

Penang Nyonya Sweet and Sour Fish

I was goggling for a simple Penang fish recipe and I found this from Rasa Malaysia, Penang Nyonya Cooking.  Eh... to my surprise, this is a Penang dish and  this steamed sweet sour fish is not new to me and others too.  I used to prepare this steamed fish and sometimes I would just deep fry the fish but use the same sauce.  It is simple and very appetizing. Give this a try if you haven't and you would not regret.  
For deep fried, sometimes I added apples to the sauce and it's yummy.  Will post this fried sweet sour fish soon.

Ingredients :
- 1 whole fish (washed, marinated with salt and pepper)

Sauce (to taste) :
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 tomato (chopped)

- 2 red chili (finely chopped/blended)
- 1 tsp preserved soy bean paste (tau cheong)
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 4 tbsp chili sauce
- a dash of apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
- a dash of ligh soy sauce
- salt
- a dash of sugar
- water
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch mix with 2 tbsp of water (to thicken the sauce)

Method :
1) Steam the fish until cooked, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove, discard the water and set aside.
2) To prepare the gravy, heat up 2 tablespoons of oil in a wok. Add onion and chili.  Stir-fry for 1-2 minutes or until soft.
3) Add preserved soy bean paste and stir-fry until fragrant over low heat.
4) Add tomato,chili sauce, tomato sauce, light soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, salt, sugar and water. Bring to a slow boil.
5) Add cornstarch solution and stir quickly for a few more minutes.
6) Pour the gravy over the steamed fish.  Serve with steamed rice.
Guess what?  I had in fact prepared extra gravy as I know my children would love it.  True enough, we finished up all the gravy!
The gravy itself is so appetizing and yummy... :)

I am submitting this post to Malaysian Food Fest, Penang Month hosted by Alan of Travelling Foodies


Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me comments.. I really appreciate all your visits and comments! Have a nice day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and have a nice day :)