Tuesday 28 January 2014

The Significance of Ang Pows 红包/利事 and Chinese New Year Greetings

This year, according to the lunar calendar and the Chinese Zodiac, the Year of 2014 is the Year of the Horse and falls on the 31st January 2014. It is celebrated by Chinese all over the world. Lunar New Year denotes new beginnings and a fresh start.
This is a time of celebration, reunion, forgiveness, sharing and thanksgiving. This is the day Ang Pow plays an important part of our Chinese tradition.
Ang Pow or red packet is commonly known as “Lai See”. Ang Pow is extremely auspicious among the Chinese community.
The red color of the envelope symbolizes good luck and is supposed to ward off evil spirits.
It’s also a gift of money which symbolizes blessings, good luck, good health and success.
We usually put brand new notes (but not necessary) inside red envelopes. I don’t mind getting old notes as long as it’s legal tender, hahaha!
Besides Chinese New Year, Lai See is also given during weddings and birthdays. It’s a tradition to give Ang Pows to children or those who are still single during Chinese New Year.
As working or married adults, we also give Lai See to our elders ie. grandparents, parents, parents-in-laws, and our loved ones. My hubby gives me Ang Pow too during Chinese New Year. Likewise, my parents and in-law also give Ang Pows to their daughters-in-law, sons-in-law and also married children. It’s always an honour to receive red packets sealed with blessings and good wishes regardless of the amount of money received.  
My children have been taught and advised not to open the ang pows they received in front of others out of courtesy. They usually keep their ang pows received until the 15th day of the Chinese New Year; that’s Chap Goh Mei, and only open the red packets to count how much they have received before I keep it for them in their bank account.
Chinese are very particular when giving or receiving money during any auspicious or happy occasions such as Chinese New Year, weddings, birthdays, etc.
For the benefits of my foreign and non-Chinese readers, should you need to give money as a gift to a Chinese friend during a happy occasion, always remember it must be in red packets or pink envelopes.
Please bear in mind that money as a gift in a white envelope is a BIG NO, NO. This is only given as ‘Pak Kam’ (white gold) which is being donated to a deceased family so as to ease their financial burden for any funeral expenses incurred.
Asian Chinese get offended easily when receiving money in white envelopes!! So, my dear friends, should you need to give money as a gift to any of your Chinese friends or business associates, always use RED PACKETS for happy occasions and white envelopes to a deceased family.
It’s also common practice in Chinese organisation where employers give Ang Pows to employees as bonus before the office closed  for the Chinese New Year and on the day when the company reopens for business after Chinese New Year holidays.
Banks, big organisations, insurance companies, departmental stores, and shops distribute free Ang Pow packets to their customers.
In the olden days, Ang Pows were usually a red piece of paper where money is wrapped inside. 
However, time has changed and the design and artwork of the Lai See has improved in many ways. Ang Pow packets come in attractive designs.
These designs can be in carps, peonies in full bloom, golden mandarin oranges, golden pineapples, Chinese zodiac animals in accordance to the relevant year, etc. Each design has a different motif that is significant to the Chinese New Year.
Over the years, I have been collecting some truly attractive and beautiful Ang Pow packets. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank my dearest sister who have recently generously given me some of her limited collection of beautiful Ang Pow packets.
Thanks Dear !!!
Let’s gallop confidently into a healthy and prosperous year of the Horse with abundance of good luck, remarkable achievements and an endless journey of successful goals and dreams!!!
Gong Xi Fatt Chai !!!


16.gif





To receive new updates, do LIKE me on FACEBOOK. Thanks! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me comments.. I really appreciate all your visits and comments! Have a nice day :)

38 comments:

  1. So nice to know more about Chinese traditions... ....beautiful traditions....... n so amazing that the love for food connects people in different parts of the world and to know about various cultures.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Remya, yes you are right! The love for food and blogging has connect people of difference traditions and cultures regardless where they are. One very good example is you, Remya. I am glad that I know you via blogworld! You have a wonderful week ahead!

      Delete
  2. Hi my dear, woohoooo you also collect angpow wrappers, huh! I actually shy to tell people I got this 'wuliaw' hobby, nothing better to do but collect angpow wrapper. But every years I received lots of it and each year it's getting more beautiful and classy. Especially foreign banks, every year their angpow is like competition. LOL
    Love to see all your collections and great posting.

    Happy New Year to you and family. Wishing you all the best in the horse year with abundance of good health and happiness. Let's gallop as fast as the horse so that we'll not be left behind. LOL

    Have a wonderful holiday, take care and a big hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do indeed have a very nice collection of Ang Pau packets! Taking this opportunity to wish you and your family Gong Xi Fa Cai!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm aware of the symbolic meaning of red, Mandarin oranges and others as well. I'm one of those Indians who have and associate with lots of Chinese friends.But the white envelope is sure something new and I shall definitely kept that piece of infor on my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ivy woah, lots of beautiful ang pow u collected, I love the purple colors the most, my favorite colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, dear. I do collect ang pow packets too!! Never know you are also as crazy and 'wuliao' as Ivy Sew, hahhaha.. I have a big collection of ang pow packets which I collected over the years. So now we can start exchanging ang pow packets!! Thanks for your sweet compliments, dear.
    Here's wishing your and your family "Ma Dao Cheng Gong" and may you gallop towards the wind of prosperity with good health, wealth, happiness and endless of achievements!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi LTB, yes, I have a vast collection of ang pow packets. Here's wishing you and your family "Ma Dao Cheng Gong"!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nava, I have a very close Indian friend who is also very well verse of all Chinese traditions and cultures. She and her family celebrate CNY with us and likewise, my family celebrates Deepavali with her family too! Yes, DO NOT give white envelope with money to Chinese friends (especially the older generation) as they might get offended. However, not all Chinese are superstitious but it's still advisable to be aware of such tradition, right? Do enjoy your holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Christine, yes the purple colour ones is from Citibank. It's very beautiful and it's actually a soft pvc leather-like ang pow pouch!!! You know, when my hubby gave it to me the other day, wow... I was jumping with joy like a small kid getting sweets for the first time, hahahha.. Here's wishing you and your family "Ma Dao Cheng Gong"!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ivy, what a wonderful post so full of much needed information , all the ang pow is beautiful and they all are so pretty , but if I had to choose it would be red . Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Nee for your compliments. Yes, I also prefer red colour as it has that sense of merry and joyous occasion of the Lunar New Year. You have a great day ahead, Nee :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice post Ivy...love the pictures of the red envelopes...
    Happy Chinese New Year my dear :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hehe my kids are looking fwd to receive their angpows this yr.

    Wishing you and your family a very Happy Chinese New Year! All the best for the Year of the Horse. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Ivy, I love the shiny purple ang pow packet right at the top. Now no more fun because don't receive ang pows hah! hah! Wish you and family Gong Xi Fa Cai!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for this very interesting post about the symbolism of the celebration.
    May you receive many red envelops :)
    Happy Chinese New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daniela, it's my pleasure and thanks for your sweet wishes. Yes, I do receive many ang pows this CNY too. You have a wonderful year ahead too:)

      Delete
  16. Hi Ivy!

    Thank you so much for "teaching" us all about the Chinese New Year festivities. It is so wonderful to learn the traditions andy the symbolism about the New Year. I really enjoyed this post! Wishing You and Yours a festive, happy, healthy and prosperous New Year and thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  17. ivy...boleh akak masuk sini lagi?
    lamanya tak masuk sini...sekali masuk terus ternganga mulut macam duduk depan doktor gigi!
    cantiknya blog awak ni ivy....!!!! meriah pulak dgn lagu2 raya...

    ivy..dgn perasaan gwembira akak ucapkan Selamat Tahun Baru Cina buat ivy sekeluarga. Semoga tahun ini dan seterusnya akan membawa seribu kebahagiaan, kesihatan yg terbaik, panjang umur, kaya raya dan kejayaan dalam segala usaha...

    post ini buatkan akak ketawa juga sebab selama ini akak fikir akak sorang yg suka buat koleksi peket duit raya hihihi...rupa2nya ada gang juga LOL!
    kalau dpt peket yg cantik2 tu, akak mmg simpan, sayang nak buang kan? anak akak cakap mama macam budak2 tp akak cakap peduli apa! hahaha

    okay my dearest sista, hati2 dijalanraya dan dimeja makan juga ya!! jgn sorok weighing scale bawah meja hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  18. "Gong Xi Fa Cai" - Happy New Year for 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Inger. You have a wonderful week ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Julia, thanks and here's Gong Xi Fa Chai to you and may you gallop into a prosperous and healthy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Yen, Thanks and here's Gong Xi Fa Chai to you and your lovely family. May you gallop into a prosperous and healthy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Phong Hong. I like that purple ang pow packet too!! Here's Gong Xi Fa Chai to you and may you gallop into a prosperous and healthy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Louise, it's my pleasure and it's also great to share our Chinese traditions with non-Chinese friends. Thanks so much for your sweet wishes and here's also wishing you a prosperous and healthy 2014!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Kak Q, Terima kasih banyak2 atas pujian dan ucapan Kak Q yang manis tu!!! I pun ucapkan semoga tahun Kuda ni membawa tuah dan kegembiraan kepada Kak Q serta sihat walafiat hendaknya kepada sekeluarga Kak Q!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Ivy,

    Gong Xi Fa Chai! Hong Bao yi ge lai!!! :p

    I can see that you are a collector of pretty ang pows! They all look very auspicious and nice!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Zoe, Gong Xi Fa Chai to you too! Yes, I have a vast collection of ang pow packets and just love to look at them whenever I am too free and have nothing to do, hahahaha..

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy New Year and Gong Xi Fa Chai!!

    Thanks for sharing all the holiday cards and pretty envelopes. I am really missing the days I still received cash for the New Year. I am a grown up person I have not been receiving my envelopes for a few years now. On the other hand I also don't have to hand out any since I am still a junior person in the family. But I am still in a very happy spirit regardless :) Can wait to see more delicious recipes from you this year!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Yi, Kong Hei Fatt Choy to you too!! No doubt I am already married, I still receive ang pows from my hubby, parents and also mum-in-law. Frankly speaking I do enjoy giving ang pows to the elders such as aunts and uncles as I feel great whenever they thank me and give me a big big smile. It's the joy of giving and also my sincere wishes that they are happy and healthy in the new year and years to come. Here's also wishing you smooth sailing in whatever you do, Yi :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Ivy,

    Nice collection of ang pow packet. Hey, I am single this year. Gong Xi Fa Cai, ang pow mari ! .... Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, lai lai, 1 ang pow for you, ong also mali! Keong Hi Huat Chai!!

      Delete
  30. Hi Ivy, love looking at the various ang pow packets. How I wish I can receive them too, hehehe!. Keong Hee Huat Chye to you and family. Let us have a safe and sound year ahead for all. Me too give ang pows like you mentioned. I also give ang pows and oranges to the security guards, maintenance works at my housing estate for helping to look after the vicinity throughout the year. Let us all be HAPPY.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Kimmy, Keong Hee Huat Chye to you too! Eh... Hi5!! Me too, I also give oranges and goodies to others as well as postmen. Let's HUAT together, Kimmy!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hello Ivy, very good write-up. wow! Never knew there are so many kinds of red packets. And I learned something today, your mention of opening the red packets only last day of the CNY. Never knew that. and yes, we too were taught from early age not to open immediately upon receiving, especially in front of person giving.
    Old days had 2 grandfathers, one, mother's side very rich. Father's side poor.

    Rich grandpa will sit down new year morning, he has 3 wives, so the battalion of grandchildren, would greet him, and he will ask, "how old are you"? And we get the amount as our age. Other grandfather was 20 cents to the grandkids, he had 2 wives.

    I really enjoyed reading your this posting, the pics too, very educational....glad you follow, keep up with tradition, Ivy.
    Have a great Horse year.
    Best regards,
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Shane,
    First of all, a big KAM SIAH for your ever sweet sweet compliments. Yes, there are countless variety of red packets and every year new designs with related motives are printed and distributed. I am one of those who is also extremely crazy of collecting ang pow packets, be it nice, beautiful or even just a plain ones, as long as it add up to my collection.
    Yes, I still remember during my childhood days, my parents only gave us 20 cents ang pow and whatever ang pows we received, had to be 'surrendered' to our parents so that they could use it to give ang pows to other children. Those were the days. Nowadays, all our children's ang pows are deposited into their bank accounts and we even topped in up for them!
    Shane, glad that you enjoy this posting and the pics. You too, all the best to you in the year of Horse!
    Ivy

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Ivy,
    A lovely post!
    Wish you a wonderful year of the Horse!
    Gong Xi Fa Cai!

    ReplyDelete

To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and have a nice day :)