In fact it was my first time baking a birthday cake for my girl. In order to give her a surprise, I baked it when she was away for her ballet lesson. By the time she arrived home, the cake was ready and of course, she was thrilled to see her first home baked birthday cake from her mum!!
Ingredients for snow skin : (I made 16 minis and 2 big snow skin mooncakes)
- 100gm kaofen (sifted)
- 80gm icing sugar (sifted)
- 30gm shortening
- 150ml iced water
- 500gm red bean paste (store bought)
(divide into 16 portions of 25gm each and 2 portions of 50gm each. Shape into balls)
1) Mix kaofen, icing sugar and shortening until well combined.
2) Add iced water and use a spatula to combine the mixture until dough is formed.
3) Divide dough into 16 portions of 15gm each (for minis mooncakes) and 2 portions of 30gm each of dough (for big mooncakes).
4) Flatten each dough with rolling pin and wrap it around 1 piece of filling.
5) Lightly dust the ball of dough with kaofen and press the ball into a mooncake mould. Press out.
Happy Mooncake Festival and Have a wonderful Family Reunion :)