To me, passion fruit is one of the most delicious fruits on earth The round to oval, either yellow or dark purple at maturity, makes this exotic fruit even unique is that they come in their own little pods. The fruit is soft to firm, its juicy interior is loaded with seeds which are nutritious. Passion fruit is known for its sweet aroma and flavor. The seeds are crunchy and edible, besides being juiced and added to other fruit juices or desserts as flavor enhancer.
Health benefits of passion fruit :1) The fruit is a very good source of dietary fiber.
2) Passion fruit is good in vitamin C, providing about 30 mg per 100 g. Vitamin-C (ascorbic acid) is a powerful water soluble anti-oxidant. Consumption of fruits rich in vitamin C helps the body develop resistance against flu-like infectious agents and scavenge harmful, pro-inflammatory free radicals.
3) The fruit contains very good levels of vitamin-A (provides about 1274 IU per 100 g), and flavonoid antioxidants such as β-carotene and cryptoxanthin-β. Current research studies suggest that these compounds have antioxidant properties, and along with vitamin A are essential for good eye-sight.
4) Vitamin A is also required for maintaining healthy mucus membranes and skin. Consumption of natural fruits rich in vitamin-A, and flavonoids may helps to protect from lung and oral cavity cancers.
5) Fresh passion fruit is very rich in potassium. 100 g fruit pulp has about 348 mg of potassium. Potassium is an important component of cells and body fluids, and helps regulate heart rate and blood pressure.
6) Furthermore, granadilla is a very good source of minerals. Iron, copper, magnesium and phosphorus are present in adequate amounts in the fruit.
Source : http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/passion-fruit.html
Pan-Seared Norwegian Blue Mackerel with Sweet Sourish Passion Fruit
- 3 Norwegian Blue Mackerel fillets (marinated for 30 minutes)
- 1 tbsp butter
- some Teriyaki Sauce (to taste)
Marinade : (to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- 1 tbsp fresh passion fruit juice (press the pulp against a fine sieve to get the juice)
- 1 tsp ginger wine
Sauce : (to taste) - mix all and set aside
- 2 fresh passion fruits (halved, pulp and seeds scooped into a bowl)
- 1 tsp honey or sugar
- 1 tbsp ginger wine (or more)
1) Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a non-stick pan (I used Happy Call Pan).
2) Add 3 pieces mackerel, skin side up, and closed. Pan fry over medium heat. Turn when the fish is slightly brown.
3) Spread some passion fruit sauce on top of the fish. Close and cook through until golden brown.
4) Turn off the heat and drizzle some Teriyaki sauce on both sides.
5) Transfer to a plate and pour the balance of mixed fresh passion fruit sauce over the fish.
6) Serve warm.
This fruity sweet and sourish passion fruit sauce is a perfect complement to the pan-seared blue mackerel
The added ginger wine gives the sauce a very refreshing and mild gingery flavor and aroma
~A delightful dish for my beloved friends~
You might also be interested in this :
To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING on FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me comments. I really appreciate all your visits and comments! Have a nice day :)