Thursday 6 June 2013

Healthy Bitter Gourd Rice Vermicelli (Bee Hoon) Soup

Bitter gourd has many health benefits.  It can be stir fried, stewed or used it for soup.  Please click  here for more info about bitter gourd's health benefits and different recipe.

Most people don't like bitter gourd as it is bitter.  As for me, I like bitter gourd.  In fact, I find it tastier if it's bitter.  Bitter gourd rice vermicelli (bee hoon) soup is very yummy especially if you eat it with bird's eye chili (cili padi).  I had my first experience with this yummy soup when we were eating out about 2 years ago.  It costs RM5.00 to RM5.50 per bowl in Kuala Lumpur.  Since then, I used to cook this dish quite often and you can just add any ingredients you like.  It has been quite sometimes I didn't cook this dish and lately due to the hot weather, I cooked this dish as it is cooling for our body.

Ingredients for Soup :
- 1 bitter gourd (washed and thinly sliced)
- 2 tomatoes (washed and cut into wedges)
- 1 bowl of minced meat (marinated with salt, pepper, soy sauce and 1 1/2 tsp tapioca flour)
- 1/2 bowl of wood ear mushrooms (washed and soaked until soft. Thinly sliced)
- 1/2 bowl of dried anchovies/ikan bilis (washed)

- 1 packet of rice vermicelli (washed, soaked,  blanched and set aside)

Ingredients for Bird's Eye Chili Sauce : (Mixed all together) to taste
- 3 bird's eye chilies (washed and finely chopped)
- 2 red chilies (washed and finely sliced)
- 1 sprig of Chinese parsley (washed and chopped)
- some soy sauce

Method :
1)  Prepare stock by boiling the dried anchovies and discard the anchovies when done.
2)  Add wood ear mushrooms. Also add minced meat bit by bit into the stock.  Lastly add tomatoes and let it boil for about 15 minutes.
3)  Lastly add bitter gourd and seasoned with salt.  Let it boil for about 5 minutes.
4)  Prepare blanched rice vermicelli in a serving bowl.  Add soup and serve it with bird's eye chilies sauce.
Note :
You can add any ingredients you like such as fish balls or even fish fillets.  Sometimes instead of bee hoon , I have it with instant noodles or just the bitter gourd soup with rice.

Follow this blog with bloglovin Follow on Bloglovin Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me comments.. I really appreciate all your visits and comments! Have a nice day :)

2 comments:

To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and have a nice day :)