Bitter gourd (melon) might turn some people away from it due to its bitterness. However, it can really sweeten your health because of its disease preventing and health promoting phyto chemical compounds.
My children did not like bitter gourd when they were kids but I insisted that they gave it a try whenever I cooked it. Now they like it very much! :)
The other day I was quite busy and didn't have time to cook. So, my hubby packed 2 meat dishes from the restaurant nearby and I just fried a simple veggie dish. One of the dishes he packed was sweet sour pork. My goodness, we didn't finish this dish as it was too salty for us. So, the next day I cooked it with bitter gourd and well, not bad leh.... We love it so much.
- 1 bitter gourd (washed, de-seeded and sliced)
- 1/2 bowl of deep fried pork belly
- ginger (washed and crushed)
- garlic (washed and finely chopped)
- 1/2 tbsp of taucu (bean paste)
- soy sauce (to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- 1 cup water
1) Heat oil in a wok. Saute garlic and ginger until aromatic.
2) Add bitter gourd and stir fry for 1 or 2 minutes
3) Add deep fried meat and the remaining ingredients.
4) Stir and mix well and add water.
5) Cover and let it simmer until bitter gourd is soft and cooked.
6) Dish out and serve.
For more and latest updates, pls follow my blog with bloglovin. Simply click and follow :