Mui choy is preserved mustard green. There are 2 types of mui choy; salted and sweetened. Do not underestimate this humble mui choy. It is very delicious and you can prepare it anyway you like, be it steamed, braised, stewed or even for soup. Most Chinese like to prepare it with pork or chicken depending on their preferences.
Stewed Pork with Mui Choy is a very common and popular dish among Chinese. It is easy to prepare and yummy. You can substitute pork with chicken and it is still yummy.
- 1 strip of pork belly (washed, blanched and cut into bite sized, marinated with seasonings)
- 1/2 bowl salted mui choy (washed, soaked for abt 40mins to 1 hr, washed and cut)
- 1/2 bowl sweetened mui choy (washed, soaked for abt 30mins, washed and cut)
- 2 thumbsized ginger (crushed)
- 1 whole garlic (crushed)
- 3 shallots (chopped)
Seasonings for marinate : (to taste)
- soy sauce
- caramel sauce
-1 tsp cooking wine (optional and not for marinate)
1) Heat oil in a wok and saute ginger, garlic and shallots until aromatic.
2) Stir in pork belly and mui choy and keep stirring for about 2 minutes.
3) Add enough water, cover and cook at high heat for 5 minutes.
4) Turn the heat to low and stew for about 40 minutes.
5) Add cooking wine (optional) and mix well.
6) Dish up and serve with steamed rice or Teochew porridge.
For more and latest updates, pls follow my blog with bloglovin. Simply click and follow :
Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me comments.. I really appreciate all your visits and comments! Have a nice day :)