I love to steam fish with shallots. So, usually I am the one and sometimes my hubby would finish all the shallots. However, my children would not touch the shallots! They only go for the fish and the sauce! The sauce is great and my children like to mix it with steamed rice.
This is a very simple steamed fish with shallots and it's very yummy.
- 1 Chinese Pomfret (marinated with salt and pepper)
- some shallots - (washed and peeled)
- 1thumb sized ginger (washed, finely sliced)
- Spring onions (washed and cut)
Seasonings : (to taste)
- soy sauce
- 1tsp Chinese cooking wine (Hua Tiao Jiu)
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
1) Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a wok. Quickly fry shallots in high heat and dish out. Turn off the heat. Put aside.
2) Lightly fry the the ginger and spring onions without the heat as the balance oil from frying shallots is still hot. Dish out.
3) Boil water for steaming.
4) Arrange some fried shallots, ginger and spring onions on the steaming plate. Then, place the fish on top.
5) Add the remaining ingredients (fried shallots, ginger and spring onions) on top of the fish.
6) Mix the seasonings and pour onto the fish.
7) Steam at high heat for about 13 to 15 minutes depending on the fish.
8) Serve immediately with steamed rice
The gravy is very yummy!
You might also like these simple steamed fish recipes: