Wednesday 7 August 2013

Braised Pork Belly and White Radish with Sitiawan Homemade Ang Zhao 紅糟 (Wine Lees)

Ayer Tawar, Sitiawan (Manjung district) in Perak is well-known for its homemade red glutinous wine.  Practically, most of the families (esp the older generation)  in Manjung know how to brew red glutinous wine. Besides birthdays, Chinese New Years, during confinement period, new mothers would eat red glutinous wine chicken with Sitiawan handmade mee suah, (click here for the recipe ---> Sitiawan Ang Jiu Mee Suah) which is also a popular delicacy in Sitiawan not to be missed if you happen to visit Sitiawan.  Since I married to my husband, my in-laws who are from Taiping start to love my mum's ang jiu mee suah and her home brewed ang jiu too!
Click here for the recipe --->Sitiawan Ang Jiu Mee Suah

After harvesting the rice wine, we don't throw the lees but store some in the fridge for future use or give it to whoever may want it. Ang Zhao is very versatile in most of the Sitiawan cuisines and it's yummy too. .In case you are interested, here's some of my old posts using ang zhao/wine lees. Just click at the respective link for the full recipe.

Braised Pork Belly and White Radish with Sitiawan Homemade Ang Zhao 紅糟 (Wine Lees) is another dish which my mum likes to cook for us. It's our favourite since young and my late dad's favourite too. It's very easy to prepare and fuss free too.
Ingredients :
- 2 strips of pork belly (sliced and marinated)
- 1/2 bowl black fungus (soaked, washed and finely sliced)
- 1/2 radish (peeled and cut into wedges)
- 2 thumbsised ginger (cut and crushed)
- 1 star anise
Marinade :
- 1 tbsp ang zhao
- 1/2 tsp five spice powder
- salt to taste
- soy sauce to taste
Seasonings : (to taste)
- 2 tbsp red glutinous wine or Chinese cooking wine
- soy sauce
- salt
- a dash of sugar
- dark caramel sauce

Method :
1)  Arrange marinated pork belly at the bottom of a pot or pan.
2)  Add the remaining ingredients on top and pour 3 cups of hot water (or enough water to almost cover all the ingredients) into the pot.
3)  Cover and bring to boil at high heat.
4)  Lower the heat and braise it for about an hour or more or until the meat is soft.  Add hot water if necessary and/or if the meat is still not ready.
5)  When the meat is ready and the gravy is thicken, add seasonings to taste.
6)  Dish out and serve.
Serve with steamed rice or plain buns.
Add extra wine if you love the gravy as it's very yummy :)
This is very ho jiak!

I am submitting this post to Malaysian Food Fest Perak month hosted by WendyinKK of Table for Two….or more

To receive new updates, do LIKE me on FACEBOOK. Thanks!http://www.bloglovin.com/en/blog/6015563 Follow this blog with bloglovin Follow on Bloglovin Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me comments.. I really appreciate all your visits and comments! Have a nice day :)

20 comments:

  1. I'm feeling hungry looking at this... wish I can have a huge chunk of meat with a large bowl of rice right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jasline, don't worry I have extra rice for you. Just knock at the door :)

      Delete
  2. OMG all those Perak food looks so delicious.. homemade ang zhao somemore.. wah so good! salute you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon, the salute should go to you, not me! Sometimes I am so amazed with you for being such a great cook :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Ivy .. this looks so yummy thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya, it look really Ho Chiak! I wish to make Ang ju one day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonia, I am sure there is no problem for you to master the skills. As for me, I have yet to give it a try. All my homemade ang jiu are from my mum or my sis. Must make it a point to brew it myself too :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Ivy, I used to braise pork belly with black fungus but have never added red wine to it. Hmmm, maybe I'll do that the next time. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doris, it tastes just like the drunken chicken

      Delete
  6. Ivy, aiyoyo! I am so hungry looking at your pork belly dish. Can't wait for detox to be over hee..hee...sob..sob...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phong Hong, it's good you are on a detox programe. This is a sinful dish for you, hahahaha...

      Delete
  7. Hi Ivym
    This looks delicious! Would love to try making Ang Jiu one day! So many delicious dishes awaits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce, I have been telling myself that I would make my own ang jiu too, but my one day seems to be so long awayyyyyyyyyyyyy... hahaha.. Maybe one day when I can't get any ready supply from my mum and sis, then, I think my 'one day' would no longer in my dictionary :)

      Delete
  8. Ivy, i like this very much, but here i done know where i can get this 紅糟.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Xing Hui, I think you can get it from Sibu or from whomever who brew their own ang jiu. Ask from any of your
      Fu Chow friends, they might have it. Will give to you if you are in KL.

      Delete
  9. This one looks really ho chiak! I have never tasted this dish but i know i will love it!

    ReplyDelete

To receive new updates, do LIKE SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY LIVING FACEBOOK. Thanks for visiting my blog and have a nice day :)